Re: How to account CPU idle time waiting for I/O?

Ulisses Alonso wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Fernando Fernandez wrote:
> > Can anyone point me to some info about how to find how much
> > time the CPU is wasting waiting for disk I/O?
>
> maybe this is Ok if you want to do some "benchmarks":
>
> try it with the time command, for instance:
>
> time cp some_file to_some_other_file
>
> There is also a programm called bonnie in
> sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/benchmarks (or something like this)

Thanks, but I don't really need a benchmark and the "time" command
does not report what I need.

What I'm searching for is something like vmstat that reports global
CPU usage split by "system/user/idle waiting for io/really idle".

This is for basic system performance tunning, not bechmarking.

Thanks anyway!

Fernando

--
Fernando Fernandez