Re: hard disk restarting a couple of times an hour

>> I've noticed that even when I'm not using it, my hard disk is re-spun a time

>> or two an hour.  THere's a brief slowing, followed by the click & bzzzzt as
it
>> restarts.
>>
>> I originally assumed a looze cable, but I'm reasonably convinced that the
>> power & ribbon cables are firmly in--however, jostling them causes a similar

>> effect.
>>
>> It generally doesn't cause a problem, though I've seen "IDE not responding,
>> attempting to initializze" type messages if there is a read/write attempt
when
>> this happens.
>>
>> THe drive is about 6 months old; a maxtor 8.4.  Should I be worried?  how do
>> figure out whether it's the drive or cables?

It sounds to me that you have hard drive power saving enabled in the bios or
something, this would explain it slowing down after a period of inactivity, and
then speeding up when you system needs to read/write to the drive.  Try
disabling the power saving for your hard drives and see if that helps.

Regards

Graham