Text to Speech?

What are some good text to speech packages for Linux? Assume only a SoundBlaster
for hardware (ie, no dedicated TTS hardware).

I tried Festival, but it seems to pause a tiny bit every few seconds, and
frankly I was hoping for better.

I'm looking for a package that is not just adequate for reading an email, but
suitable for extended listening as a faster rate of speed. That is, of a quality
suitable for a visually impaired person.

I would hope that a PII with a SoundBlaster AWE64 would be up to the task,
especially under Linux. Any suggestions?

--
SEGV
Homepage:         http://www.cgocable.net/~mlepage/