Re: telnet port 25

On Mon, Jun 01, 1998 at 08:41:17PM +0800, A.D.Y. Cheng wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I try the command to test my email connection 'telnet localhost 25', but
> it gives me the error:
>
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
>
> However, I have '127.0.0.1	localhost' entry in my /etc/hosts file.
> Another problem is that I have troubles download email from my ISP using
> fetchmail, it gives me the error

Have you checked your /etc/hosts.deny file?  For instance, my
/etc/hosts.deny has the line containing "ALL: ALL" to disallow ALL
people from connecting to ALL of my services.  The few people I do let
use stuff, I have explicity set in /etc/hosts.allow, for instance a
line that says "ftpd: myfriend@nocrackers.com" or likewise.

The two mentioned files are for configuring your TCP wrappers, a
program which monitors (and can do more extensive logging, I think)
you inetd services.

Also, do you have a telnet daemon running?

godspeed,
Matt