Re: smail vs sendmail, fetchmail, K6 processor

On Wed, Jun 03, 1998 at 12:07:36AM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > I think I heard at some point that you can't have two K6's on the same
> > board is that true?
>
> This is my understanding [could be wrong]:
>
> K6 IS supported in multiprocessor, but it is using an SMP scheme called
> OpenPIC or similar. Cyrix use the same spec. Intel use a different spec
> though and no motherboards available support the open one.

Cyrix chips do SMP?  I was always told K6 would but Cyrix (at least my
generation, a non-MMX PR166+/PR200+ (turns out this was a downmarked chip
which is FINE by me!))

> Unfortunately for now that means going with Intel's usual overpriced
> efforts if you want SMP.

Or going Alpha or PPC.  Cost effectiveness seems to indicate PPC to me,
though there are 1,000,001 different PPC for Linux branches it seems.