PLEA FOR HELP! /usr/lib/crt1.o problems after hamm upgrade

Hi all,

This is a second attempt at trying to get this issue resolved and an
update, so please excuse some repetition.

I upgraded to hamm over the weekend(using autoup.sh).

After the upgrade I removed all devel packages to get a clean start.

My first goal was to compile a new kernel.  So I installed the
kernel-source-2.0.32 package and all files it depends on(binutils,
libc-dev, gcc, make,ncurses-dev, tk-dev).

Now when ever I try and compile anything not just the kernel source I
get the exact same failure error of:

/usr/lib/crt1.o(.text+0xe): undefined reference to `__libc_init_first'
/usr/lib/crt1.o(.text+0x18): undefined reference to `_environ'

I have tried installing copies of the libc6-dev from different sources
to see if the file was corrupt but that did not help.  I have
completely removed it and reinstalled it a couple of times from
different sources as well.

I am at a loss on this.  What do I need to fix, change, look for, etc.
To get this fixed.

Thank you,

Brian