Basic cvs question

I decided to give cvs a try on a programming project I am about ready to
get started on and thought it easier to start from the beginning with the
cvs setup. So I installed the cvs package this morning. However, I have
what must be a very basic FAQ, but I can't find the answer to it in the
FAQ.

I think I understand the concept of CVSROOT, but am not sure and don't
know what to use for it. Especially to start with a completely clean
canvas. Is it as simple as setting my CVSROOT environment variable and
starting to use it?

Is the CVSROOT path what the debian cvsconfig script wants when it
asks for the list of repositories? If so, what is a standard value to use
on a Debian system for the CVSROOT path? And shouldn't that be set as a
default when someone clueless like me tries to set up the program
initially?

Thanks for any help I can find. (even if it is a pointer to the right
place in the FAQ)

David

--
The AtticKeeper: Rev. David Morris