Probs installing 1.3

I'm trying to install Debian 1.3 on an older 486 at work for a guy who's
taking some graduate classes and needs a basic C development environment.
I'm not able to get the Rescue Disk to boot completely.

I've checked the BIOS settings and changed them to correspond with the
recommended settings in the Hardware HOWTO.  Then booting with the 1.3
Rescue disk (which I can boot on two other machines, so I think the disk
is good) it starts booting and gets to the line where it prints out the
'md driver ...' status and then hangs.  Booting the Rescue disk on another
machine indicates that the next thing it is doing is checking for SCSI
devices.  This machine has no SCSI stuff and so it seems that there should
be a short delay and then the boot process continues.  At least this is
what happens when I boot other machines (both with and without SCSI).

Any ideas?