Re: Basic cvs question

Hi,

File: cvs.info,  Node: Creating a repository,  Next: Backing up,  Prev: Multipl\
e repositories,  Up: Repository

Creating a repository
=====================

   To set up a CVS repository, first choose the machine and disk on
which you want to store the revision history of the source files.  CPU
and memory requirements are modest, so most machines should be
adequate.  For details see *Note Server requirements::.

   To estimate disk space requirements, if you are importing RCS files
from another system, the size of those files is the approximate initial
size of your repository, or if you are starting without any version
history, a rule of thumb is to allow for the server approximately three
times the size of the code to be under CVS for the repository (you will
eventually outgrow this, but not for a while).  On the machines on
which the developers will be working, you'll want disk space for
approximately one working directory for each developer (either the
entire tree or a portion of it, depending on what each developer uses).

   The repository should be accessable (directly or via a networked
file system) from all machines which want to use CVS in server or local
mode; the client machines need not have any access to it other than via
the CVS protocol.  It is not possible to use CVS to read from a
repository which one only has read access to; CVS needs to be able to
create lock files (*note Concurrency::.).

   To create a repository, run the `cvs init' command.  It will set up
an empty repository in the CVS root specified in the usual way (*note
Repository::.).  For example,

     cvs -d /usr/local/cvsroot init

   `cvs init' is careful to never overwrite any existing files in the
repository, so no harm is done if you run `cvs init' on an already
set-up repository.

   `cvs init' will enable history logging; if you don't want that,
remove the history file after running `cvs init'.  *Note history file::.

	manoj
--
 I said I'm two and a half billion years old because when I was young
 the earth was two billion years old and now it is four and a half