Re: Can't recognize com port

I created /dev/cua1 using the command

mknod -m 660 /dev/cua1 c 5 65
chown root.dialout /dev/cua1

which I got out of a book on Linux networking.  Previously I was using
/dev/ttyS1 for outgoing connections.  Is there any reason to use the cua
devices?

-
The cua devices (call out) were originally created as separate devices for
outgoing connections, the ttyS devices were used for incomming connections.
The idea was that by using lock files an outgoing process would check for
an incomming process before starting (and visa versa).  There are other
ways of doing this today and the use of the cua devices have fallen into
dis-favor. (which is why debian does not use them?)  I think slackware
still builds cua devices.  I am using /dev/ttyS0 to connect my modem.