Re: Help! Major crash in Hamm upgrade!

Thanks guys for your help!  I can't thank you enough!!!

> Use the Debian Rescue disk to boot your system but mount your existing
> root partition as the root instead of allowing the rescue disk to mount a
> ram disk as root.  For example, when presented with the "boot:" prompt
> from the rescue disk type:
>
> 	linux root=/dev/hda1

This did the trick - with a small modification.  First I had to restore
the /etc/init.d/boot - it seems that hamm doesn't have this file anymore,
but because my system wasn't configured properly - it needed it.

I have now managed to install and configure most of the hamm packages,
though there were many difficulties.

I don't know why the boot sector was corrupted - but it wasn't anything to
do with "linear" settings - I checked the BIOS and the disks were set to
NORMAL - as they always have been.  And the lilo.conf was the same as I
had always been using.  I suspect the boot sector was corrupted.  I have
rerun lilo and it boots fine.

> Instead of manually configuring the lilo.conf file, try using liloconfig
> instead.  Liloconfig is fairly interactive and it helps to make sure that
> your lilo.conf file is configured properly.

I did this just to see what it gave.  It gave the same as what I already
had except for two things:

1. it had boot=/dev/hda1 instead of boot=/dev/hda
2. it didn't allow me to boot from my dos partition

On the second point, I notice that I can no longer do
  loader = /boot/any_d.b
because the file is not there.  Anyone know anything about this?
I've solved the problem simply by commenting out this line, but I
would like to know what's happened.

Cheers, and once again, thanks,

Mark.