Re: dselect

Sidney Brooks wrote:

> I have a Debian CD, which I obtained from Linux Mall. I have repeatedly
> tried to install packages with dselect both from the CD and by transferring
> the packages to my hard drive. I go through Select, Install where there is
> disk action, then Configure where I get a positive response, and finally,
> after Quit, I find that nothing new is installed. I am left with the same
> minimal programs that I started with. In one of the Debian documents, they
> are described as things that do nothing useful. What am I doing wrong?

	Have you tried using 'dpkg -i package_name.deb' directly (dselect calls
dpkg)?  What packages are you trying to install?  You shouldn't have to copy
them to the hard drive, dselect can install them from the CD.  Have you
setup the 'Access' options under dselect, to tell it what here to get .deb
stuff from?  What is the device name (/dev/???) of your CDROM and root
partition on your hard drive?
	Its hard to tell what to suggest from what you've given us.

--
Ed