Re: jdk1.1-runtime

Ed Cogburn <ecogburn@greene.xtn.net> writes:

> 	What you are essentially trying to do here is to upgrade from libc5 to
> libc6 (the JDK was compiled for libc6).  This is not a trivial task.  It is
> the heart of the difference between Debian 1.3 and 2.0.  There is a shell
> script called autoup.sh in the developer's corner on http://www.debian.org
> that can automate the worst of the upgrade (it will upgrade via ftp).  After
> that, you can use dselect to finish the upgrade (also via ftp).  Be warned
> though, it took me the better part of a day (~10 hrs) to download everything
> for this, although a minimal install should take less.  The ftp location for
> hamm is 'ftp.debian.org/pub/debian/dists/hamm/main'.

Although I was using the jdk1.1 for a long time before upgrading to
libc6 - the old jdk1.1 package allowed one to install it on a bo
system, which was most appreciated at the time.

I still have the 1.1.3.v2-1 .deb packages if someone wants them (these
can be installed on a libc5 system) - note however that there may be
bugs the maintainer has fixed in recent packages.