Re: jdk1.1-runtime

Tomas Petersson wrote:

> Hello, I downloaded and tried to install JDK 1.1, but
> ran into some problem.
>
> Package libc6 is not installed.
> Package xlib6g is not installed.
> Package xpm4g is not installed.
>
> I have searched the ftp-site for these packages without luck.
> Does anyone know where I can find them?
>
> /Tomas Petersson

	What you are essentially trying to do here is to upgrade from libc5 to
libc6 (the JDK was compiled for libc6).  This is not a trivial task.  It is
the heart of the difference between Debian 1.3 and 2.0.  There is a shell
script called autoup.sh in the developer's corner on http://www.debian.org
that can automate the worst of the upgrade (it will upgrade via ftp).  After
that, you can use dselect to finish the upgrade (also via ftp).  Be warned
though, it took me the better part of a day (~10 hrs) to download everything
for this, although a minimal install should take less.  The ftp location for
hamm is 'ftp.debian.org/pub/debian/dists/hamm/main'.

--
Ed