Re: Q: How to get class String from libg++272 with Debian2.0

On Fri, May 29, 1998 at 02:31:29PM +0200, Waldemar ¯urowski wrote:
> I switched from Debian 1.3 to Debian 2.0 while I was writing a program for
> my final exam of my study. I used in many places class String, and class
> which implements regular expression. When I did upgrade, I didn't check if
> everything had compiled ok.
>
> First of all, I had to use EGCS g++, which uses stdc++2.8, as g++ from
> wasn't anymore in GCC package. It seems there isn't any String class in
> stdc++-lib. I know that String _is_ in libg++-dev, but stdc++-dev and
> libg++-dev conflict which each other. I'd like to go back to g++ from GCC
> but I don't see it anywhere.
>
> Please, let me know if that's "a bug".

It is not.

> Now, what I am about to do, is just simple downgrade to Debian 1.3, but I
> don't really want to do that.

I've built libg++2.8 and libg++2.8-dev packages for use with egcs's g++.
Those packages are currently still in the Incoming directory, so you'll have
to fetch them from a mirror of Incoming (see
http://www.debian.org/devel/incoming_mirrors.html for a list) for now.

Please be aware that libstdc++ contains a string class that conforms to the
recently accepted C++ standard, and that libg++ will no longer be supported
by the FSF. You might want to consider migrating your code to the libstdc++
string class. (Unfortunately, the C++ standard does not cover a class for
regular expression handling).

Greetings,
Ray
--
LEADERSHIP  A form of self-preservation exhibited by people with auto-
destructive imaginations in order to ensure that when it comes to the crunch