Re: Java JDK 1.15 on Debian?

Marcus Johnson wrote:

> Okay, I'm not the administrator, the admin is not very available and I'm a
> newbie at Linux/Unix admin stuff, but I have uncovered this much at least.
>
> * when I start I new shell I get the following:
>
> "Linux bay1 2.0.0 #19 Tue Jul 30 21:58:15 PDT 1996 i586
> Debian v1.1 Copyright (C) 1993-1996 Debian Association, Inc. and others"
>
> Now if I'm understanding this correctly (and please set me straight if I'm
> wrong), this is telling me that the system I'm trying to set the JDK 1.1.5
> up on is actually Rex (Debian 1.1) and that the Linux kernal is v. 2.0.0
> (and is that #19 mean its 2.0.019 or that I'm the 19th user on-line or
> what?)
>
> So, given the fact I'm not in a position to compel the admin to upgrade to
> Debian 1.3 or 2.0 (but can and will lobby for it), in the meantime where
> does this leave me when I want to install the JDK 1.1.5 in my own shell
> account area? Which libraries and other configuration dealie-mic-bobbers
> which I need to get the admin to set in order to make this work?
>
> * I did ftp the Bryne jdk1.1.5-v5-glibc.tar files, untarred them and tried
> to set them up.  Forgive my (perhaps appalling) ignorance, but I think I'm
> not sure if I need to set a symbolic link or add to my path or maybe it
> simply won't work due to incorrect libraries, some combo of the above or
> something else, but I haven't been able to get it to execute yet.
>
>[big snip]

	I seriously doubt that you can do what you are trying to do.  The system
you're running on is based on an old version of Debian.  The tar file you
downloaded is built against the latest libc library (libc6 a.k.a. glibc).
To get glibc support requires Debian v2.0 (a.k.a. hamm).  Maybe (and I say
this with trepidation) you can get the JDK sources and compile them for your
system, but I'm willing to bet the JDK has dependencies in its code which
make a newer libc a necessity.  Get on your admin's case (politely, of
course) for not upgrading the system.

--
Ed