RE: Java JDK 1.15 on Debian?

Okay, I'm not the administrator, the admin is not very available and I'm a
newbie at Linux/Unix admin stuff, but I have uncovered this much at least.

* when I start I new shell I get the following:

"Linux bay1 2.0.0 #19 Tue Jul 30 21:58:15 PDT 1996 i586
Debian v1.1 Copyright (C) 1993-1996 Debian Association, Inc. and others"

Now if I'm understanding this correctly (and please set me straight if I'm
wrong), this is telling me that the system I'm trying to set the JDK 1.1.5
up on is actually Rex (Debian 1.1) and that the Linux kernal is v. 2.0.0
(and is that #19 mean its 2.0.019 or that I'm the 19th user on-line or
what?)

So, given the fact I'm not in a position to compel the admin to upgrade to
Debian 1.3 or 2.0 (but can and will lobby for it), in the meantime where
does this leave me when I want to install the JDK 1.1.5 in my own shell
account area? Which libraries and other configuration dealie-mic-bobbers
which I need to get the admin to set in order to make this work?

* I did ftp the Bryne jdk1.1.5-v5-glibc.tar files, untarred them and tried
to set them up.  Forgive my (perhaps appalling) ignorance, but I think I'm
not sure if I need to set a symbolic link or add to my path or maybe it
simply won't work due to incorrect libraries, some combo of the above or
something else, but I haven't been able to get it to execute yet.

* Without changing anything, if I'm in the /bin directory of the jdk
which in my case is
export/w1/hbe/java/jdk1.1.5v5-980311/bin/

and I type javac FileName.java as in:
bay1:~/java/jdk1.1.5v5-980311/bin % javac DBClient.java

I get the following response:
export/w1/hbe/java/jdk1.1.5v5-980311/bin/../bin/i586/green_threads/javac:
/export/w1/hbe/java/jdk1.1.5v5-980311/bin/../bin/i586/green_threads/java: No
such file or directory

What does this mean?  Does this tell me I need to set some symbolic link?

* Without changing anything, if I'm in most of my directories, because the
jdk directories aren't in the path, I get a "command not found" type
response.  No suprise there, but I'm not sure what I should put in my path
to make it work correctly.

What is the combo of path and symbolic links I need to make this work?  Or
do I still need some other libraries installed to make this work?  I hope
I've provided enough detail so someone could steer me straight without
drowning you in details.

Thanks in advance!

Marcus