Re: Why fetchmail didn't download my e-mail ?

Ionut Borcoman at musa <borco@alpha1.infim.ro> writes:

<SNIP>

> bash-2.01$ fetchmail
> fetchmail: 1 message for borco at mail.mailbox.ro.
> reading message 1 of 1 (2579 bytes) fetchmail: SMTP error: 501
> <@mail.mailbox.ro
> > : colon expected after route
> fetchmail: SMTP error: 501 <ionut> : sender address must contain a
> domain
> fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from mail.mailbox.ro
> bash-2.01$
>

> In /var/log/exim
>
> 1998-05-20 17:29:35 unqualified sender rejected: <ionut> H=localhost
> (debian.borco.net) [127.0.0.1] (ionut)

The problem isn't with fetchmail exactly, it's with exim - What
appears to be happening is that error messages have no envelope sender
(presumably to prevent stuff from being thrown back at them - there's
no point in generating an error message for an error message), so
fetchmail just uses your name as the envelope sender.

Exim, however, doesn't want to accept your unqualified (unqualified
here means a name such as "ionut" and not "ionut@debian.borco.net")
username as a sending address.  The way to tell exim to behave more
like less paranoid mailers and accept this unqualified address is to
put the following in /etc/exim.conf:

sender_unqualified_hosts = localhost

Hmmm... I wonder if I've been missing some error messages because of
this... (I didn't have this line in my exim.conf until now either).

--
I need a sig...