Why fetchmail didn't download my e-mail ?

Hi,

(Background: my home computer is connected via ppp to my isp; my home pc
is debian.borco.net; the isp server is mail.mailbox.ro; i use fetchmail
to get the mails after I connect to the isp via ppp. For reading and
writing I use Netscape Mail, which reads from the local machine and
sends mails to a queue. The MTA is exim, which is set to re-write the
headers (set the From and Sender to my e-mail from my isp). The machine
is hamm.)

Yesterday I wanted to write to the KDE maintainer. His address was
aj@debian.org. The mail returned because "unknown user". My problem is
not this but that the fetchmail didn't want to download the returned
message.

Here are the information I gathered:

At the prompt:

bash-2.01$ fetchmail
fetchmail: 1 message for borco at mail.mailbox.ro.
reading message 1 of 1 (2579 bytes) fetchmail: SMTP error: 501
<@mail.mailbox.ro
> : colon expected after route
fetchmail: SMTP error: 501 <ionut> : sender address must contain a
domain
fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from mail.mailbox.ro
bash-2.01$

In /var/log/exim

1998-05-20 17:29:35 unqualified sender rejected: <ionut> H=localhost
(debian.borco.net) [127.0.0.1] (ionut)

In /var/log/rejectlog

1998-05-20 17:29:35 unqualified sender rejected: <ionut> H=localhost
(debian.bor
co.net) [127.0.0.1] (ionut)

The /home/ionut/.fetchmailrc:

defaults
        fetchall
poll mail.mailbox.ro with proto pop3:
        user borco there has password XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX and is ionut here

The header of the mail that produced this:

Date: 20 May 1998 13:39:03 -0000
From: MAILER-DAEMON@master.debian.org
To: borco@mailbox.ro
Subject: failure notice

I was able to download the mail by changing the settings of the Netscape
Mail (to point directly to my isp, not to the local machine).

So, is this because a security setting or what ? How do I avoid this in
future ? Or should I let it as it is ?

TIA,

Ionutz