Re: PCMCIA card problems (Hamm)

Ian Lynagh wrote:

> >I am having problems with PCMCIA cards on my Dell Inspiron 3000.
> >I have a 3C589D and a "Psion Dacom Gold Card Global V34 PC Card".
> >I have a fresh install of Hamm from, IIRC, the 26/4/98 install
> >disks.

> I have fixed this by reinstalling and this time not using the updated
> debs.

Hamm, while frozen, is still being updated, and Herbert Xu, the
kernel-image maintainer, is still perfecting the kernel-image-2.0.33
package (by adding important patches).  Since new versions of the
kernel-image-2.0.33 package are being uploaded much more frequently than
the boot floppies are being built, the kernel image on the boot floppies
is one or two versions behind the version in the Debian package.

Since the modules in pcmcia-modules-2.0.33 need to match the kernel
exactly, releases of this package must keep pace with releases of
the kernel-image-2.0.33 package.  (The version number reflects this.
For example, pcmcia-modules-2.0.33 version 3.0.0-6k8 is supposed to be
compatible with kernel-image-2.0.33 version 2.0.33-8.)  Therefore, I try
to upload a new version soon after Herbert uploads a new kernel image,
and the PCMCIA modules soon become incompatible with the kernel on the
boot floppies.

When version 2.0 is finally released, there will be no more updates to
kernel-image-2.0.33 and pcmcia-modules-2.0.33 and a final set of boot
floppies will be made using the kernel in the latest version of the
kernel-image package.

> This time round I also noticed the Alternate to configure PCMCIA,
> although I am confused as to why it is not done by default?

I do not understand what you are referring to here.

Brian