Help with X and signal 11

Over the past four days, I have struggled with this recurring
problem. It first occurred when I installed the newest package version
of xbase and xserver-svga from the debian mirrors. I had also switched
to WindowMaker, so I thought maybe the problem was there.

So far: it hasn't happened to me in another WM, but I've only tried a
couple and never stay in them for more than a few mins.

Anyway, for a period X would crash on me within about five minutes
after login. Everytime it was the same. The xdm-errors log said
something like
"Caught signal 11, server aborted."

Same error everytime. I then attempted to recompile X, in X. X itself
crashed about six mins into it. So I compiled XFree86 3.3.2 to use
only the matrox mga chipset, and after compiling, did a make install,
and put a hold on the parallel debian packages. (xbase and xserver) I
also recompiled WindowMaker myself, and installed.

All was fine for about 24 hrs, when X crashed on me again while I was
in it. The crashes occur whether or not I'm doing something at the
time... i.e. not only when I am moving something around or causing
mouse or keyboard events. Sometimes I'm not even here when it happens.

Besides recompiling things, I have taken several steps to remedy
this. First, I opened my case and left it open, and screwed the fan
onto my CPU even tighter. I don't think it's overheating, though... I
have one of the low-power revisions of the Cyrix/IBM 6x86 PR200+ on an
Asus T2P4 HX pentium M/B. Second, I stopped running the rc5des client,
but then I started it again after I recompiled, because all seemed
well.

Third, I changed the RAM settings in the BIOS to 70ns ( I am supposed
to have 60 ns EDO ). Anyway, last night I left it in WMaker, and woke
up this morning to find the xdm login. The xdm-errors file didn't
reveal any errors this time, though.

It may very well be a problem with the RAM I've got. I just bought an
extra 32 megs (two 16 meg simms) about 1.5 mths ago. To make a long
story short, one of the simms must be bad, because I only get a total
of 48MB now (even though I put them both in, because the Motherboard
won't recognize a single simm). I am hoping this is the problem.... a
bad simm, or just bad memory in general. Or heat, but there's not much
I can do about that.

I have taken the new simms out, and am back to my old 32. I brought
the RAM back up to 60 ns. And the rc5des client is still going. If it
was the RAM, it shouldn't happen anymore. I hope to get my RAM changed
soon, because 32 just doesn't cut it anymore.

One last thing: the problem is only in X. I don't get any kernel
messages about memory allocation (I do sometimes, but I think that's
just my 2.0.32 kernel). This thing only crashes X. Whether I use xdm
or not, i get signal11. Compiling X, or anything else not in X, never
gives me any problems.

If there is anyway of tracking down the problem, I would appreciate
it. I was hoping I could trap signal 11 and ignore it, but I have a
feeling that's impossible.

If anyone has any advice or experience with this , PLEASE let me
know. This is the most frustrating experience I have had so far with
Linux. I can't even do my work for fear of X dying.

--
  kiyan@iname.com   A scientific truth does not triumph by convincing
  A. Kiyan Azarbar  its opponents and making them see the light, but