Re: dselect oddities

On Sat, 16 May 1998, Steve Lamb wrote:

: On Sun, 17 May 1998 00:32:29 -0400, Bill Leach wrote:
:
: >Although I admit to now being in the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
: >mode myself (while hamm is in frozen), I do not personally subscribe to
: >that philosophy.  The 'pain' of delaying upgrading to repair bugs can be
: >considerable and particularly in the case for Debian, a package upgrade
: >rarely breaks itself or anything else.  Even during 'hamm' development,
: >my own experience was that it was very rare that an upgrade run would
: >break anything (until hamm went into 'frozen').
:
:     As I have stated there are times when this is catagorically untrue.  In
: my particular case, to provide as an example, I have placed the "unstable"
: directories into dselect's path so I could keep up with new versions of
: *applications* while leaving the *libraries* alone.

[ much snippage ]

You do realise that installing packages from hamm onto a bo system is
completely different than installing bo packages onto a rex system,
right?  Your logic holds true for the latter case, but not the former.
bo->hamm migration involves libc5->libc6 migration, and that's not a
simple task.  Search through the -devel archives, or talk to someone
running Red Hat 5 if you don't believe me.

So, Debian is trying to do this the *right* way - whereby everything
works.  Yes, some of the versions in hamm are no longer bleeding edge -
that was bound to happen once it was frozen.  however, it should be
rather painless to grab new packages out of slink and install them onto
a hamm system - both are libc6.

I understand that you are frustrated.  However, the tone of your posts
imply that the Debian developers are some sort of sadists who enjoy
obfuscation.  I do not think this is 100% true :)

For what it's worth, I run several hamm systems and they have been
relatively trouble free.  (This IS Linux after all - I don't expect
everything to be perfect every time.  But, I do have methods at my
disposal to fix what went wrong, and I don't have that freedom with
other operating systems.)

Cheers,

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104