floppy woes

Hi,

I am having problems with a floppy drive.  Basicly it won't write
properly on any floppy disk that hasn't been formatted in that drive.
Preformatted floppies screw up.  The problem is, that often after a
failed attempt to read or write from the drive, the only way to be able
to use the floppy drive again is to reboot.  I have tried fdflush on
it, but this didn't seem to work.  I have tried unloading and reloading
the floppy.o kernel module, to no avail.  If I try to mount a (`good')
floppy after such an event, I get messages like `device busy' or
`/dev/fd0: no such address'.

Question: is there a way to hard-reset the floppy drive and driver
under linux, without rebooting?

Another annoying point is that if something goes wrong while reading or
writing to floppy, the system goes on trying forever and a day,
regardles of whatever kill signals are being sent.  Would there be a
way to make it give up after, say, 10 attempts?

Any comments appreciated,

Eric Meijer

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032