Re: problem with mouse

On Fri, 15 May 1998, Roman Ferreiras wrote:

> i 'm trying to stard up X86Free
> i download linux and X86Free by ftp
> i config the system
> but i don't know how i can config my serial mouse
> i type X, and system say that /dev/mouse not exist
> i check /dev and i find /dev/smouse , but this dev don't work too
> i try with MAKEVEV -c -v mouse , but this don't work too

Hi,

These are the Debian packages you need to install:

 - xlib6
 - xbase
 - xfntbase
 - xfnt75
 - xfnt100
 - xserver-vga16
 - xserver-<your type of videocard>

You specifically need the package xserver-vga16, even if you don't intend
to run X11 in 16 color vga mode. The reason for installing is that it
provides "XF86Setup", an easy utility to set up X11 for your machine. If
you use "XF86Setup", it will probably find your mouse and autodetect what
settings to use.

Some more points:

If you don't install X11 as Debian package, but install from the XFree86
raw tar.gz instead, you'll generally have a hard time - certainly as a
beginner. Stick with the packages. And use the "dselect" program to
select and install packages.

The mouse driver doesn't actually use /dev/mouse. You either have a serial
mouse, in which case the mouse device is /devttyS0 (COM1:) or /dev/ttyS1
(COM2:) or you have a ps/2 mouse, in which case the mose device is
/dev/psaux. In both cases, the /dev/mouse "device"  is only a symlink to
the real device ("man ln" tells you what a symlink is.) I think that when
you set up X11 with "XF86Setup", it will just use the real device and you
won't even need a /dev/mouse symlink.

In order for a serial or ps/2 mouse to work, the driver has to be present
in the kernel. The default Debian kernel has support for both types of
device, but they are not loaded by default, you have to insert their
module for the mouse driver to actually work. For a serial mouse, the
command would be "modprobe serial" and for a ps/2 mouse it would be
"modprobe ps2".

There are two ways to start X11: the "startx" command and the xdm X
Display Manager. xdm is nicer once it works, but it can make your machine
inacceesible if something goes wrong with it. So, you'll want to make sure
that everything works fine with "startx" first.

Cheers,

Joost