ssltelnet *very* slow on a 486...

Hi there...

I just installed the ssl packages from ftp.de.debian.org on both my
Pentium and my 486.  These machines are separated spacially and
network-topologically, so it seems to make some sense to want to protect
passwords.

Now, on the Pentium, everything runs nicely.  On the 486, it can take
10-15 *minutes* to complete an ssl-telnet connection.  It gets as far as

njm25# telnet blueberry.jellybean.co.uk
Trying 194.88.75.31...
Connected to blueberry.jellybean.co.uk.
Escape character is '^]'.
Generating temp (512 bit) RSA key ...

And hangs there for a good 10-15 minutes (I haven't timed it ;-)

Conversely, telnetting *out* from that machine,it hangs during the
handshaking phase (maybe not for quite as long).

Now, I can understand that a 486/100 is not the fastest machine around.
But I can't see why there should be a difference of about 2 orders of
magnitude between a 486/100 and a Pentium 133.  Also - and tellingly -
in.telnetd is not taking up CPU time on the machine during this time.  If
I watch 'top', in.telnetd takes up CPU for maybe a few seconds, and
thereafter the machine is idle.

Bizarre.

Has anyone got ssltelnet working on a similarly low-end machine?

I can't quite see what's going on here.

It could be that my machine is ****ed (I've had problems with bad memory
in the past) - anyone know of a simple benchmark which would tell me if
things are going well?

It could be that someone careless compiled the ssl libraries in 586 mode
(but surely then it wouldn't work at all, rather than taking forever?)

Any ideas?

Jules Bean

[Cc:s appreciated - I read debian-user through the mail-list browser, I
don't subscribe...]