Re: Linux and ADSL

On Tue, 12 May 1998, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

: On Mon, May 11, 1998 at 09:26:41PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
: > The unit itself is usually ~500$ cdn, but the providers around here lease
: > it for a few dollars a month more.
:
: That sounds nice. Here in the land of .AU, where any decent sized link
: is expensive (ISDN is a rip-off here), the cable company (one
: at present) wants you to buy the modem outright, for about $500 AU
: (pretty close to $500 CDN I think). Fortunately they do rent out
: the set top boxes for the television signal.

Yikes!  Er, what kind of cable equipment are they using?

: > Prices around here are about 40$/mo cdn for a 24/7 dynamic IP, severs are
: > generally forbidden by the providers, etc.
:
: Cable modem here is $65/mo I think, including 100mb traffic, then
: it's *** 35c/mb! ***

In the US the national average is $35-$80, or so our marketing folks
tell us.  We sell 1.5 MB residential access for $35/month with a $150
setup charge.  That price includes leasing the modem.  Business access
is priced higher, but it's not outrageous.  We don't limit traffic, just
bandwidth.  (Anyone moving to South Dakota?)

: ISDN is about $70/month rental, with timed local calls; costs a small
: fortune for a semi-permanent connection. (That's for 2xB + 1xD, ie
: basic rate.)
:
: Hamish

ISDN is expensive here.  USWest has a strangle-hold on phone services in
the mid-west and consequently they don't seem to care much.  We'll see
what they do when they roll out DSL.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104