Re: ssltelnet *very* slow on a 486...

On Tue, 12 May 1998, Jules Bean wrote:

: Hi there...

[ snip ]

: Now, on the Pentium, everything runs nicely.  On the 486, it can take
: 10-15 *minutes* to complete an ssl-telnet connection.  It gets as far as
:
: njm25# telnet blueberry.jellybean.co.uk
: Trying 194.88.75.31...
: Connected to blueberry.jellybean.co.uk.
: Escape character is '^]'.
: Generating temp (512 bit) RSA key ...
:
: And hangs there for a good 10-15 minutes (I haven't timed it ;-)

Ouch.  I've noticed ssl to be slow on 486s, but not that slow.  On the
other hand, I had some general weirdness problems with SSLTelnet.  For
secure connections, I now use ssh.  Have you tried that?  It'd be
interesting to see whether that performs any better.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104