Re: Sound card support

On Mon, May 11, 1998 at 05:48:40PM +0100, M.C. Vernon wrote:

> >  You'll have to compile the kernel and configure the sound support there.
>
> :( Newbie alert. I'll read the FAQs etc.

For a starter, you should install the kernel-package and read the README
file in /usr/doc/kernel-package/. Then you should go over to the
/usr/doc/HOWTO/Sound-HOWTO. This should bring you so far to be able to
compile the kernel.

When configuruing the kernel, a lot of questions will be asked. You should
read the help sections, and answer them more or less appropriate.

> >  I think you can get sound out of that by selecting MSS, MPU401 and OPL-3
> >  options and using isapnptools to initialize the chip. (hint: compile the sound
> >  support as modules). Isapnptools is a separate package. What kernel-version
> >  are you using ?
>
> The kernel headers etc. I've downloaded are the latest ones (2.0.33-8 for
> the source, 2.0.32-5 for the headers. I guess I'd better get ones that
> match :) ). How do I configure the sound support as modules?

The kernel-source is independent from the kernel-headers. libc6 needs a
special version of kernel-headers (is this still true, Manoj ?), and you
should keep dselects choice. Install kernel-source 2.0.32, it is more stable
then 2.0.33.

Then go to /usr/src/linux (or /usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.32) and do:

make config    (or make menuconfig for better interface).

After answering all the questions (you have most of the time three choices,
*Y*es, *N*o and *M*odule, answer "M" when asked for sound support), you can
do:

make-kpkg --revision custom.1.0 kernel_image

After some time (half an hour), you have a complete *.deb package of your
kernel in /usr/src. Voila!

Install it with

dpkg -i <filename>

Marcus