XF86Setup not finding where Xfree86 is installed

I have downloaded what I belienve to be all of Xfree86. I have followed
the instructions to the letter for installing Xfree86. When I try to run
XF86Setup I get an error saying that it could not find where I have
installed Xfree86 and that I should set the XWINHOME evironment variable
to point to the parent directory. I don't know what they are saying. I
put the path statement in my .bash_profile for /usr/X11R6. the only
thing that I can think of is that i haven't downloaded the right files.
Here is a list of files that I downloaded if this is not right or I need
more files let me know. Also on a couple of these files when I extracted
them after it seemed they extracted I got a message saying 'Broken
Pipe'. This is what I used to extract the files, 'gzip -dc X332bin.tgz |
tar xfB - ' that is what they say to use in the HOW-TO.

X3321upd.tgz
X3328set.tgz
X332bin.tgz
X332cfg.tgz