Re: XF86Setup not finding where Xfree86 is installed

Keith wrote:
  >I have downloaded what I belienve to be all of Xfree86. I have followed
  >the instructions to the letter for installing Xfree86. When I try to run
  >XF86Setup I get an error saying that it could not find where I have
  >installed Xfree86 and that I should set the XWINHOME evironment variable
  >to point to the parent directory.

I presume you have some reason for not installing the Debian packages of X,
but the consequence is that you get installation problems.  You are also
likely to break your system if you then install a Debian X package without
entirely removing the ones you have just installed now.  Furthermore, if
you ask for help, you may get confusing answers, because people will
assume a Debian package, with files in particular places.

Enough of that...

Normally, most of X is under /usr/X11R6; this is probably where it is
looking for it.  If you have put it (lib, bin) somewhere else, you have
to tell it where.

The syntax would be

  export XWINHOME=/usr/X11R6

or whatever the correct path is.

You mentioned setting PATH; this was correct, but it only allows the
system to find executable programs.  Here XF86Setup is asking where to
find the other parts of X.
     "My son, do not despise the LORD's discipline and do
      not resent his rebuke, because the LORD disciplines
      those he loves, as a father the son he delights in."
                                       Proverbs 3:11,12