Re: Getting file information

Norbert Veber <nveber@vtech.dyn.ml.org> writes:
> What is the name of the command in debian that shows information about
> files?  Things like last access time, last modification time and so on.  I
> could swear that I once used a command 'stat' for this purpose

     ls -l gives some of this info.  Read the manpage for ls - there
are many options that will get much of this information.

     stat is a C function call that gives all available information
about a file.  There is also a package stat:

   Package: stat
   Section: utils
   Installed-Size: 21
   Maintainer: Michael Meskes <meskes@debian.org>
   Architecture: i386
   Version: 1.1-3
   Depends: libc6
   Filename: dists/frozen/main/binary-i386/utils/stat_1.1-3.deb
   Size: 6038
   MD5sum: d580977d0b9c661b4718da715d883274
    Display all information about a file that the stat() call provides.

Bob
--
   _
  |_)  _  |_       Robert D. Hilliard    <hilliard@flinet.com>