ssh question

Hi all,

After some security incident on my network I decided to set up ssh.
I think I have figured most things of interest to me out. However,
before I had rsh in ascript to start my mail program which is another host
through FvwmButtons. Now that I disabled rsh I tried to figure a way to do
the same with slogin. I figured the way but it involves setting
authorisation keys without passphrases. How bad is this ? Am I loosing all
security ? Am I better off with rsh in this case ? And another related
wuestion: When I disabled rsh I simply chmoded the programs 700.
Now I can't use rsh as a simple user (although I can as root) even if I
set the permissions as they used to be. I get a message saying
rcmd: socket: Permission denied
Obviously the programs to set sssh involve some secure sockets. Is there a
workaround or not for this  ??

                            Thanks for any comment
                            George

George Kapetanios