Sorry, but I STILL can't sort out my MBR

Thanks to all for all the help and ideas, but it still won't work: here's
what has gone wrong:

The DOS 'fdisk /MBR' ran with no errors, but made no difference to bootup.

'lilo -u /dev/hda' says "boot sector of /dev/hda does not have a lilo
signature"

'lilo -u' runs fine and says that it has restored the original MBR, but now
on bootup,

"Lil-" comes up on the screen and the system hangs

(Just glad I have a recent kernel boot disk =) )

/boot/boot.hda doesn't exist.

I have no WinNT installation disks, but I remember trying this once to
restore the system and it asked for my Emergency Recovery Disk, which
apparently didn't have enough info on to restore anything. The only other
option was to reinstall WinNT, which is what I did at the time.

So I'm stuck.

Here's a list of the files in /boot/

any_d.b
mbr.b
vmlinuz-2.0.29
vmlinuz-2.0.30
os2_d.b
map
boot.b
psdatabase
psdatabase-2.0.29
"                "  -2.0.30
chain.b
boot.0301
System.map-2.0.29
"                  " -2.0.30
any_b.b

Sorry for hastling everyone for the 3rd time!

Tristan