Re: Help with cdwrite

On Sat, 9 May 1998, XRD Lab wrote:

>   Machine:      Pentium 166MHz MMX, 32MB RAM, swap 40MB
>   OS     :      Debian linux, kernel 2.0.29
>   CD-Writer:    HP 7100 (internal model), (IDE interface, not scsi)
>
>   cdwrite -v -s 2 -D /dev/hdd cdimg

I have a Mermorex CRW-1622.  Its not supported by cdwrite, so I use
the newer cdrecord program.  the 2.0 kernels need a patch for it
to work, which never did work for me (anyone need some coasters with
a hole in the middle?).  kernels ater 2.1.74 are supposed to work,
I use kernel 2.1.94 for writing.  As far as it goes, you need to
compile the kernel to use scsi emulation, generic scsi support, and
cd support.  Do not include atapi cd support - it won't let the
scsi emulation see the drive.  The command I use to write the cd
is:

cdrecord -v speed=2 dev=0,0 cdimg

As a side note, the best program I've found for ripping audio off
cds is cdparanoia.  Its not perfect yet.  To rip the cds I have
to have a kernel that supports atapi cds, then to write the cds I
have to boot up a scsi emulation kernel.

Mark W. Blunier
blunier@concentric.net