Help with cdwrite

Hi,

I am facing a problem with cdwrite. Before going further, my machine
specs are as below:

  Machine:      Pentium 166MHz MMX, 32MB RAM, swap 40MB
  OS     :      Debian linux, kernel 2.0.29
  CD-Writer:    HP 7100 (internal model), (IDE interface, not scsi)

I wanted to burn some cd's with the data, programs I have accumulated.
As suggested in the HOWTO's, I did mkisofs of the directory containing
my stuff with the command

  mkisofs -r -K -o cdimg temp/

Checked that the image created was fine by mounting it as

  mount -t iso9660 -o ro,loop=/dev/loop0 cdimg /mnt

After that, I issued the command

  cdwrite -v -s 2 -D /dev/hdd cdimg

The program just prints the message:

  Tracks:....
  opening scsi device

and quits. Nothing is written.

I even tried creating a symlink in /dev/cdwriter to /dev/hdd. This did
not help.

How do I go about writing a cd under linux with an IDE cdwriter? Any
help would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks,

sridhar
~