Re: ppp setup issues..

John, thanks for the information on ppp setup.

At 11:01 PM 5/8/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Gregory Guthrie writes:
>> what is the relation of the /etc/ppp.options_out and
>> /etc/ppp/options.ttyXX ?
>
>/etc/ppp.options_out is used by the 'pon' command and by init.d.
>/etc/ppp/options.ttyXX is read by pppd when it is called with ttyXX as an
>argument.  It usually is not needed.
-- Let me check;

My system calls /etc/init.d/ppp, which seems to do the same general thing
as /usr/bin/pon.

The sequence would be (??) calls ppp-on, it calls pppd, which
[automatically] consults ppp.options_out and then (if a ttyXX argument is
present) options.ttyXX is consulted.

My startup is the same, but ppp is called from init.d somehow. I presume
that pon is a similar convenient interface for manual ppp startup.

On my system (Debian), in init.d the ppp file calls pppd, with an explicit
`cat /etc/ppp.options_out` [note backticks] for arguments.
Clearly this command line argument usage does not accept the more verbose
file and comments style of options.

On the actual options used:
What is the difference in using "-detach &" and just allowing the default
"detach"

Thanks for the information.

>> I presume that one is to either just edit options_out, which is used
>> directly by /etc/init.d/ppp for the startup pppd options,...
>
>Yes.
>
>--
>John Hasler

Dr. Gregory Guthrie
guthrie@mum.edu         (515)472-1125    Fax: -1103
       Computer Science Department
       College of Science and Technology
       Maharishi University of Management
      (Maharishi International University 1971-1995)