Re: recompiling kernel

Hi Gerald;

Though I noticed your original posting I did not then comment for it
being too much of a 'blind leading the blind' situation.

What I did notice is that the lines you quoted:

On Tue, May 05, 1998 at 12:25:40AM -0700, G. Crimp wrote:
[snip]
> if hash encaps 2> /dev/null; then \
>   objdump -k -q  -o 0x100000 /usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.30/vmlinux >
> $tmppiggy; \
> else \
>   objcopy -O binary -R .note -R .comment -R .stab -R .stabstr
> /usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.30/vmlinux $tmppiggy; \
> fi; \

should work.  I am most assuredly not a shell guru but the command
'hash' is a bash internal command.  _I_ would expect that shells other
than bash should work correctly because the 'hash' command itself
would not exist and that would be an error.

Under bash, at the command line I tried:
bash-2.01$ if hash encaps 2> /dev/null; then
> echo 'passed'
> else
> echo 'failed'
> fi
and got:
failed

(just 'hash encaps' reports hash:  encaps not found)

OTOH, IF you have a command called 'hash' in your path then this
test could pass.  Does a 'which hash' provide a null response?
You might want to do a 'locate /hash' also to be more sure.

[snip]

--
best,
-bill