Re: Compiled new Kernel now I can't boot

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith <nfn11988@naples.net>
To: debianuserlist <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Date: Tuesday, May 05, 1998 11:45 AM
Subject: Compiled new Kernel now I can't boot

>I compiled a new kernel and now I can't boot. It stops with a message
>like this:
>
>Kernel Panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:01.
>
>I can boot my old kernel from a floppy, so can I fix it or am I screwed?
>Any help would greatly be appreciated.
>
>Keith
>nfn11988@naples.net
>

>--
listmaster@lists.debian.org

Yes I can help you:  I had the same problem once.
you need to make sure that when you use make menuconfig check under
floppy,ide, and other block devices
and make sure that your enhanced ide section and other important sections
are not modularized, that they have a * beside them showing as built in!