AWE64 & losing my mind!!! (short trip)

  As I'm sure you've already discerned, I'm looking for help in
configuring linux for an AWE64.  I've read all of the HOWTOs that I've
been able to find, but still havn't had any luck making it work.  I'm
hoping that you all are smarter than I am <g>...

  After fighting with isapnptools for awhile, I finally got it's
configfile set up so that it appears to be correct... at least, it
doesn't give any error messages, and the settings seem to match what it
was able to successfully use under win95 & nt.  I'm attaching my
/etc/isapnp.conf in case anyone has some insights.

  During the kernel (2.0.33) configuration, I selected the following

     Sound card support: module
     Sound Blaster (SB, SBPro, SB16, clones) support
     Generic OPL2/OPL3 FM synthesizer support
     /dev/dsp and /dev/audio support
     MIDI interface support
     FM synthesizer (YM3812/OPL-3) support
     I/O base for SB: 220
     Sound Blaster IRQ: 5
     Sound Blaster DMA: 1
     Sound Blaster 16 bit DMA: 5
     MPU401 I/O base of SB16: 330
     SB MPU401 IRQ: -1
     Audio DMA buffer size: 65536

No other sound-related options sere selected.

  After installing the new kernel and it's associated modules,
rebooting, rebuilding module dependencies, etc., I used insmod to load
the sound module.  /proc/devices confirmed that it loaded.  At that
point, /dev/sndstat shows the driver to be configured, but the device
not detected.  I'm attaching the contents of /dev/sndstat as well.

  Well, that's as much as I can think of at the moment.  I'd really
appreciate any help you can give me, as that's the only thing of any
significance that I havn't been able to get working.

Thanx!

#
# For details of this file format, see isapnp.conf(5)
#
# LD n = Logical device, ie write to reg 7
# IO n = IO descriptor n
# BASE n = IO/Mem address
# INT n = Interrupt req n
# IRQ n = Interrupt level
# MODE = line levels etc
# ACT = Activate

#(DEBUG)

# SoundBlaster AWE64 PnP
(READPORT 0x020b)
(ISOLATE)
(IDENTIFY *)
#(VERIFYLD N)

# Card 1: (serial identifier 93 00 31 c3 9e c5 00 8c 0e)
# CTL00c5 Serial No 3261342 [checksum 93]
# Version 1.0, Vendor version 1.0
# ANSI string -->Creative SB AWE64 PnP<--
# Vendor defined tag:  73 02 45 01
#
# Logical device id CTL0045
#
(CONFIGURE CTL00c5/3261342 (LD 0
#     ANSI string -->Audio<--
  (INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))
  (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 1))
  (DMA 1 (CHANNEL 5))
  (IO 0 (BASE 0x0220))
  (IO 1 (BASE 0x0330))
  (IO 2 (BASE 0x0388))
# (ACT Y)
))

#
# Logical device id CTL7002
#
(CONFIGURE CTL00c5/3261342 (LD 1
#     ANSI string -->Game<--
  (IO 0 (BASE 0x0200))
# (ACT Y)
))

#
# Logical device id CTL0022
#
(CONFIGURE CTL00c5/3261342 (LD 2
#     ANSI string -->WaveTable<--
  (IO 0 (BASE 0x0620))
  (IO 0 (BASE 0x0A20))
  (IO 0 (BASE 0x0E20))
# (ACT Y)
))

# Returns all cards to the "Wait for Key" state
(WAITFORKEY)
Sound Driver:3.5.4-960630 (Mon May 4 18:20:19 CDT 1998 root,
Linux glitch 2.0.33 #1 Mon May 4 18:00:33 CDT 1998 i686 unknown)
Kernel: Linux glitch 2.0.33 #1 Mon May 4 18:21:56 CDT 1998 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 1: OPL-2/OPL-3 FM
Type 2: Sound Blaster