Re: partition dumbness causing kernel panic

so now it isn't booting still off the HD, but if i use the use the rescue
disk and do "rescue root=/dev/hda6" it will boot ok.

the only clue i have as to what's up is if i run lilo with the settings
all the same as they were before this went down (ie, legitimate lilo.conf)
it tells me:

> Device 0x0300: Invalid partition table, 1st entry
>  3D address:      0/0/0 (-1)
>  Linear address:  1/0/0 (0)

i *think* 0x0300 is my ethernet card, but that may be 0x300...

i poked around in /proc and /etc looking for reference to "0x0300" and the
only things i found were in /proc/kcore (duh) and /etc/magic. neither of
those seem too useful...

what is the problem that causes the symptom of the system not doing anything
when it should load lilo? this is what's been going on this whole time with
the normal (from HD) boot - it says the cache size and clock speed and does
nothing more. if you can elucidate this for me i'd be very grateful.

thanks

aaron.