Serial port troubles

Hi,
Hopefully someone has this off the top of their head. I'm trying to get a
modem going from ttyS0.

As soon as I power up the CPU, the send data and receive data light on the
modem go on.  I'm unable to do anything with the modem.  If I run
statserial /dev/ttyS0, the line clears and the modem shows the appropriate
lights.  As soon as I exit from statserial, the send data and receive data
light come on again. I've tried the modem on another machine and it works
well.

I've tried reversing the serial board connection to the motherboard without
effect.  I've looked in the inittab and it doesn't appear that I'm running
a getty on ttyS0.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.