Re: Routing with Debian?

On Sun, 12 Apr 1998, Jonas Bofjall wrote:

> Here is my situation: I want to connect a laptop to the Internet using a
> PLIP connection to my Ethernet-connected workstation. This pretty much
> sums up what I have tried (except for those ifconfig's):
>
> on laptop:
> route add <workstation-ip> plip0
> route add default gw <workstation-ip>
>
> on workstation:
> route add <laptop-ip> plip0
> arp -s <laptop-ip> <workstation-hw-addr>
>
> I can ping any host on the LAN from that laptop now (including our
> router), but I can't access the outside world. This is the first time
> I do this and I have probably understood something wrong.
>
> A question: How does the router know that the hardware address of the
> laptop's IP (which normally belongs to another workstation that I have
> turned off) has changed? Previously I have switched Ethernet cards in
> a workstation and I had no problems accessing the Internet. How did the
> router find out the address had changed? Is there some sort of broadcast
> protocol that works the other way around, like: "i am <hw-addr> and I
> have IP <ip-addr>"? Is this the key?
>
> The laptop is running bo and the workstation a mix of bo and hamm.
> Thanks for any explanations here (I've read NAG and NET3-HOWTO)...

I had the same problem and got the following (working) answer in this
list:

ipfwadm -F -p deny
ipfwadm -F -a m -S 192.168.1.0/24 -D 0.0.0.0/0

192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 are the IPs of my PCs (192.168.1.0 is the
"network adress" or "broadcast adress", i think(?).
Add these 2 lines in "/etc/init.d/network" on your workstation.
If these lines produce error messages, your kernel may lack something
(e.g.: "ip forwarding").
AFAIK the kernel image provided by debian lacks this.

An your laptop add "route add gw ......" (I dont know this exactly,
because my laptop runs win95)

cu

florian attenberger