Routing with Debian?

Here is my situation: I want to connect a laptop to the Internet using a
PLIP connection to my Ethernet-connected workstation. This pretty much
sums up what I have tried (except for those ifconfig's):

on laptop:
route add <workstation-ip> plip0
route add default gw <workstation-ip>

on workstation:
route add <laptop-ip> plip0
arp -s <laptop-ip> <workstation-hw-addr>

I can ping any host on the LAN from that laptop now (including our
router), but I can't access the outside world. This is the first time
I do this and I have probably understood something wrong.

A question: How does the router know that the hardware address of the
laptop's IP (which normally belongs to another workstation that I have
turned off) has changed? Previously I have switched Ethernet cards in
a workstation and I had no problems accessing the Internet. How did the
router find out the address had changed? Is there some sort of broadcast
protocol that works the other way around, like: "i am <hw-addr> and I
have IP <ip-addr>"? Is this the key?

The laptop is running bo and the workstation a mix of bo and hamm.
Thanks for any explanations here (I've read NAG and NET3-HOWTO)...

  // Jonas <job@abc.se> [2:201/262.37]