Comments on Debian 'frozen' release, wvdial

Folks,

  I downloaded the boot disks and base2_0.tgz to install the new glibc
  debian release on my Compaq laptop.

  I am an experienced linux installer.

  All went very smoothly.

  Except .. that after the base install I wished to continue as an ftp
  install. This required the usual guru-level PPP setup, not acceptable,
  in my opinion, for a fresh install.

  The man pages (no man command in base packages, it should be aliased
  to zcat or some little shell script) conflict in the placement of the
  chat scripts.

  I suggest that the base installation include a PPP setup utility,
  that the installer be asked if they wish to use FTP as the next
  install method, and, if so, that PPP be set up.

  After starting up PPP, I downloaded other packages, no problem.

  I fetched wvdial, thinking that it might be the solution to my
  problem above. It was indeed, simple to set up.

  However, it had problems. It took no account of the "auth" line
  in /etc/ppp/options, and thus failed to log in. It also did not
  set up a nameserver, meaning that I had to add one to /etc/resolv.conf.

  Again, guru-level PPP setup necessary.

  I therefore suggest that the wvdial setup check for the auth
  line in /etc/ppp/options, and use "noauth" with ppp if it is
  present, and, if /etc/resolv.conf is not present, add a default
  one, perhaps from the list of debian nameservers,

     BUOY.COM                     205.230.163.100
     WWW2.BUOY.COM                205.230.163.102
     NS2.CISTRON.NL               195.64.68.28
     MIRIAM.FULLER.EDU            206.1.27.4
     LALUG.ORG                    198.186.216.134
     NS1.WAW.COM                  194.51.88.250

  I further suggest that wvdial (or another easy PPP setup utility)
  be added to the base installation, and that it be invoked before
  dselect.

Cheers,      Andy!