Re: Big hard disks

Larry Panzer wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who helped me on my last question.  Now that I have
> decided on getting a bigger hard disk (I looking at about a 1GB) I have
> heard of or know of the following problems:
>
> Can I plug a 1GB EIDE disk into a normal IDE controller with a CD-ROM, and
> will it be standard IDE interface be able to access the full disk? Some
> BIOS's don't boot with a HDD over 500MB if they are older.  My BIOS is (C)
> 1992 ZDS (Zenith Data Systems).

it sounds like you have a problem....I doubt a BIOS (c) 1992 will boot a 1 gig
drive..also I doubt it would work well
without the seup utility (ive had problems with NEWER BIOSes than that)
from what I understand you could do this...
keep your existing drive and add the new one...
Linux (AFAIK) doesn't nee dthe BIOS fo rmuch beyond booting...
so even if the BIOS doesn't know about the new drive linux will
and then you can partition and format the drive and distribute its
"bigness" however you want<snip>

>  My current HDD is a Western Digital 125MB,
> therefore couldn't you just let the BIOS think it's only 125MB and have it
> read off the MBR to load LILO?

from what I understand this SHOULD work fine...

> Then (from looking at some Mini-HOWTO's) you
> could tell LILO of the correct drive geometry? The final problem I have is
> once I can boot off this big drive, what is the best way to partition it?

thats really hard to say...Ive never really found any good info on thatas I use 1
drive Ipartition as follows: (for my 3.2 gig drive)
1024 MB        / (root partition)
swap is equal to physical RAM....but...I have 128 MB of RAM so...
thats enough... for less I would got for about 2x RAM or more
and...
the rest is /home (because 90% of the data that I can not replace if it dies is
n home directories)....but thats just me

> Do I have to mount all these partitions to their directories every time I
> boot up, and won't this mess up the way files are installed by dselect, or
> the basic Linux install its self? Thanks for your help, it's greatly
> appreciated.

during the install you can specify the partitions and where they map tothen it
will make changes to /etc/fstab
on boot mount will use /etc/fstab to tell it where to mount everything
for you :)

--
-=Signature has been removed because it made an unfair comparison between NT 4
and Linux =-