Big hard disks

Thanks to everyone who helped me on my last question.  Now that I have
decided on getting a bigger hard disk (I looking at about a 1GB) I have
heard of or know of the following problems:

Can I plug a 1GB EIDE disk into a normal IDE controller with a CD-ROM, and
will it be standard IDE interface be able to access the full disk? Some
BIOS's don't boot with a HDD over 500MB if they are older.  My BIOS is (C)
1992 ZDS (Zenith Data Systems). I don't have the system config. floppy
which changes settings in the CMOS via a DOS executable. The BIOS in this
system seems to only load the OS and provided system services but doesn't
have a setup utility built into it. Does this mean I'd have a problem
installing a new hard disk?  My current HDD is a Western Digital 125MB,
therefore couldn't you just let the BIOS think it's only 125MB and have it
read off the MBR to load LILO? Then (from looking at some Mini-HOWTO's) you
could tell LILO of the correct drive geometry? The final problem I have is
once I can boot off this big drive, what is the best way to partition it?
Do I have to mount all these partitions to their directories every time I
boot up, and won't this mess up the way files are installed by dselect, or
the basic Linux install its self? Thanks for your help, it's greatly
appreciated.

Mark Panzer