Re: Big hard disks

> Can I plug a 1GB EIDE disk into a normal IDE controller with a CD-ROM, and
> will it be standard IDE interface be able to access the full disk? Some

yes,i do have a EIDE hard drive pluged into a regular IDE interface (and
the CD pluged as slave on the same interface).

> BIOS's don't boot with a HDD over 500MB if they are older.  My BIOS is (C)
> 1992 ZDS (Zenith Data Systems). I don't have the system config. floppy
> which changes settings in the CMOS via a DOS executable. The BIOS in this

sheeshhhhh,you need to tell the bios that you have a big drive
(normaly,bios has provision for special drive who's the bios has no spec
for (mine is a type 47 drive for example)) but you need a way to tell
it,for the disquette,try contacting zenith if you can have a replacement
one

> system seems to only load the OS and provided system services but doesn't
> have a setup utility built into it. Does this mean I'd have a problem
> installing a new hard disk?

yep,if you dont have the disquette.

>  My current HDD is a Western Digital 125MB,
> therefore couldn't you just let the BIOS think it's only 125MB and have it
> read off the MBR to load LILO?

there may be possibility,i'll check for that.

> Then (from looking at some Mini-HOWTO's) you
> could tell LILO of the correct drive geometry? The final problem I have is
> once I can boot off this big drive, what is the best way to partition it?
> Do I have to mount all these partitions to their directories every time I
> boot up, and won't this mess up the way files are installed by dselect, or
> the basic Linux install its self? Thanks for your help, it's greatly
> appreciated.

the best way for a first install is that when you'll buy the drive,the
vendor will give you a disquette containing Ontrack Drive Manager (you can
download it from some drive manufacturer web site too),format the
drive,it doesn't matter if this utility format the drive as a dos drive
because you'll have to format it a second time (in the installation of
linux) make sure you have a bootable dos (or win95 or NT or whatever else
that ontrack support) disquette too,when formatting (either in disk
manager or in linux) choose only to have a single partition (simpler for
now),i dont recommend trying to do several partitions for now,you'll have
ample time to read documents and change your mind later on,if you need
more information,mail me or the list.

Alain