hamm installation- rescue disk kernel panic

I was trying to install hamm.  I booted the rescue disk and I got a
kernel panic. (kernel panic: VFS unable to mount root fs on 01:00)

Here are the messages before the crash:

partition check
hda: hda1 hda2 <hda5> hda3 hda4
[MS-DOS FS Rel. 12, FAT0 .............]
[me=0x0,cs=0,hf=0,fs=0,fl=0,ds=0,de=0,data=0,se=0,
fs=0,ls=0,ro=0,fc=4264967295] transaction block size=512

I have got linux and vfat partitions on this disk.

If someone can refer me to some instructions on how this rescue disk is
made,  I may try to make a custom kernel that might work.

                            Donald Harter Jr.