X session stays opened in utmp/wtmp

Hello friends,
==============

could anybody help me with this problem? Every time when anybody logs
himself off XWindow, finger, who and last report him as a still
logged-on person, usually with a nonsensual idle time. Command w returns
everytime that there are n users, but lists only n-1 of them. The
missing one is that user who just left XWindow. When I reboot (and/or
delete the utmp/wtmp files), everything remains normal until somebody
logs into XWindow.

If someone else logs into XWindow, he replaces the previous "hanging"
user in all mentioned listings.

I'm using a hamm Debian, and a XWindow 3.3.1 . The computer has been
mistakenly shut down several times without a proper shutdown procedure.

What am I doing wrong? I do not use that sessreg, it really doesn't make
things better. Maybe I should reinstall XWindow and/or my window
managers, but I want to know exactly where's the problem.

Any answers are well appreciated. CC replies to my personal e-mail are
welcome.

Thanks a lot in forward.

All the best,
Peter