Re: Free/OpenSource software?

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998 hospedales@wow.net wrote:

> 1. I am planning to write in Java. Does the fact that Sun seems to have
> control over the language itself affect the ability to apply the GPL or
> similar liscences to Java software?

I don't believe the status of the language you code in affects whether you
can make your code GPL.  There are efforts underway anyway to make a GPL'd
java VM clone.

> 2. As I understand it, the GPL forbids use of your source code in closed
> source software. However, if an unscruplous individual were to do so
> anyway, how would you know since the individual's source would be
> closed?

If you suspected this, there are ways in which it can be shown that your
code has been stolen, as was done when Microsoft stole Stacker technology
and called it Doublespace in DOS 6.2.  The risk of being caught is usually
enough deterrent, as if you were caught, the license terms of GPL'd
software would require the release of sources for all derivative works.

> 3. Is there any other major benefit to open source beside peer review?

How about:
- peer contribution, as well as review: your software will grow
'as if by magic' if it was interesting enough to begin with.

- many karmic bonus points for giving something back to the community
you've gained from.

- no negative effect upon your possible stream of revenue from providing
commercial support to users of your software who require it.  as was
pointed out by a free software advocate recently, software is a *service
industry*.  there's much more potential revenue from charging by the
hour/day for implementation/support of your software anyway, than there is
from getting $xxx per unit and then being obliged (unless you're a major
software company) to provide support for some period for free.

I'm sure this is but a fraction of the arguments in support of releasing
your code under the GPL.  The best argument is to look at the most
notorious examples of proprietary and free software out there: Windows 9X,
and GNU/Linux.  No contest, really.

-thomas